The Northern California Writing Centers Association is a non-profit educational organization that provides support, encourages scholarship, and promotes community among writing center professionals.
Our primary commitment is to serve colleges in Northern California —2-year, 4-year, public, and private— while inviting participation from colleagues nationally and internationally. We define writing-centers broadly, acknowledging the intersections of writing, reading, and academic support in the various institutional setting in which this work occurs.
We are committed to the following:
- Sponsoring conferences located in the Northern California region and welcoming all interested participants.
- Supporting the establishment and development of writing centers within their varied institutional contexts.
- Promoting and providing professional development for writing center staff members including: tutors, directors, coordinators, instructors, funding agents.
- Encouraging exploration of and dialog about multiple conceptions of literacy and the teaching, tutoring, and learning thereof.
- Facilitating dialog about our diverse student populations and strategies for promoting their success.